Friday 9 May 2008

Good season / bad season

Without a doubt, 'tis the season to be ginger. When the sun comes out I almost regret the many years and hundreds of pounds I've spent beating the errant copper tones out of my hair - because it's on days like these that the redheads really come into their own. And it's like they've all come out of hibernation at once; everywhere you look there are flame-topped halos sailing proudly down the street.

I have ginger envy! Maybe it's time to get the henna out again.

But what about the Goths? I can't imagine they have a lot of fun at this time of year. I passed a couple (a gaggle? a murder? how do you pluralise Goths?) on the way to work and even at 8.30 in the morning they looked very sweltery indeed. All that black can't help, and what do you do when your makeup starts to run? Do they kick you out of Slimelight if you turn up in a summer dress? And what about the massive bovver boots? Don't your feet just get a bit... nasty?

I can't really picture an appropriate summer uniform for someone who spends the winter wrapped up in seventeen layers of velvet and lace. Maybe some lunch hour research is in order.

No comments: