Wednesday 14 May 2008

Boys (and girls) and toys: the Morgan SLR

Those who have looked at my Twitter profile have probably guessed that I'm a bit of a Morgan fan. This is true: my best beloved Connery (a Morgan +8 with racing pedigree) is nothing short of a god among cars.

As is often the case, the weakness for classic cars is a family failing. With the Roadster, +8 and 3-wheeler under their belts, the latest project chez parents is Morgan's first real racing car, the SLR, lovingly constructed by hand (as they all are) and one of only three of its kind. (Pedants may point out that there was an original prototype as well, but I'd remind them that was built on a Triumph chassis so barely counts as a Morgan at all;)


Around two years ago dad tracked down the first of the three ("the most original", he assured me when I asked). It was in a pretty run down state and needed a lot of love to restore it to its original glory. And lo and behold, as of this week, it's back in one piece.

Ladies and gentleman, for your delight and delectation, the newly reconstructed Morgan SLR!

The only question now is what colour to paint it...

1 comment:

@EmVicW said...

I can absolutely believe you that the original original was built on a Triumph chassis... this looks like the fraternal twin of a Triumph Spitfire (my own dad's old vintage car of choice).