Thursday 27 March 2008

A short history of blogs

So I've been blogging for … err… about five years now. For the last couple of years it's been restricted access only, locking specific bits of my life to specific audiences. Funny what blogging does to the way you think.

As time went on it's become a useful way to decant the singsong of random throughts from my head into the ether, and under pressure from friends (you know who you are) I recently moved across to Blogger, where I could feed my idle thoughts out into the uncaring void. Hello, uncaring void.

Despite my best intentions I've never shut down either of my previous blogs. One of them I still use occasionally to peer into other people's lives (you know you would) and the other has too much history to be easily disposable. I keep meaning to download it, but it just seems a bit much like hard work. You see, those are my memoirs. The adventures, the scandal, the trauma - the blood and sweat (mine) and the tears (others'). The sordid details (and aren't you glad I don't feel the need to share those anymore?). Give me a few more years and you'll see them on a bookshelf somewhere. The names will be changed... but you'll know who I am.

If you're really lucky, you may even be one of the people who receives the discreet little note asking exactly how much it's worth to have your escapades left out...

No comments: