Wednesday 23 April 2008

That LiveJournal debate

Ever read something that made you sick with disgust?

The concept itself is bad enough. What horrifies me the most is the number of comments saying not just that this is okay, but that any man or woman has the right to ask me if they can touch my boobs. To me that is not only offensive but also unpleasant and, if it were to come from a stranger, downright threatening.

LiveJournal is in a frenzy over this post and with reason. It's a frightening indictment of the world we live in when what I want matters more than your feelings about your own body. Because what it ultimately says is that your body is here solely for their amusement - and that's just not right.

1 comment:

@EmVicW said...

Good god that disgusts me.

Aside from the fact that the entire story made me feel faintly sick and the way it was told was foul, what makes these people think that we are better off without the barriers they are breaking down? I like the social rule that says you have to meet me and pass my own tests before you can touch me.

How degrading. And I am not surprised that it expanded through this conference (not sure what the conference was but I reckon either hobbyist tech or role players... And I am certain this man has a beard). Its a pack mentality. I expect at least one woman in that corridor was either uncomfortable at the time or uncomfortable in retrospect.

Foul.