Thursday 28 August 2008

Bridget Jones goes Digital

Yesterday’s TechCrunch article sent me hot-footing over to Diary.com to take a look around.

For more years than I care to mention I’ve been an incurable keeper of diaries. Hidden under my bed at my parents’ house is a box full of the handwritten and badly locked diaries I kept as an angsty teenager; five plus years of
LiveJournal and Blogger have shown that even having shed the angst I am still compelled to share every passing thought with someone else.

So what does Diary.com offer the compulsive diarist that Blogger doesn’t? To be honest, I’m still working that out. I can input my idle thoughts, pictures and videos into the main text box and out they come in my personal feed as a locked diary entry. Very simple and straightforward, no HTML sk1llz required – but then, you don’t have to be a genius to get the same result on Blogger.

In its favour, I can keep a number of different diaries for different people to see as well as the private one that’s visible only to me. I can Favourite the best entries in my own diary or one of the ones that my friends have Shared with me and track the comments where and however I want.

It’s interesting although at the moment I feel like I can do most of what it offers on LiveJournal too. And so far, with the beta test apparently quite newly under way, its Twitter-esque schematic make me feel rather like I’m talking to myself.

But maybe Diary.com will show its best side when there are a few more people there. TechCrunch thinks it will do well by attracting those people who don’t have the time, knowledge or inclination to set up a blog of their own.

Ok, so let’s find some nice people to explore it with. Any of you fine individuals care to join me? Don’t worry, I haven’t written anything compromising (yet).

2 comments:

bateleur said...

I'm very skeptical of TechCrunch's argument there. In reality diary.com has exactly one thing going for it: the domain name.

So far they've had fewer than 3000 signups, which my the standards of such things is very low.

Almost a Lady said...

I don't know what date their beta opened - maybe the volume is still to come?

I suspect it won't match pizza.com for marketability, though.